Journal of Indian Association of Pediatric Surgeons
Journal of Indian Association of Pediatric Surgeons
                                                   Official journal of the Indian Association of Pediatric Surgeons                           
Year : 2011  |  Volume : 16  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 29--30

Ingested metallic foreign body lodged in the appendix


RR Sarkar, J Bisht, SK Sinha Roy 
 Department of Pediatric Surgery, Institute of Post-Graduate Medical Education and Research and Seth Sukhlal Karnani Memorial Hospital, Kolkata, India

Correspondence Address:
R R Sarkar
Flat J-3-E, Saoura Niloy Housing Complex 1, Kailash Ghosh Road, Kolkata 700008
India

Abstract

An 8-year-old child ingested a metallic screw 3 months prior to admission. At laparotomy, the foreign body was found to be lodged inside the vermiform appendix, and was removed by appendicectomy.



How to cite this article:
Sarkar R R, Bisht J, Sinha Roy S K. Ingested metallic foreign body lodged in the appendix.J Indian Assoc Pediatr Surg 2011;16:29-30


How to cite this URL:
Sarkar R R, Bisht J, Sinha Roy S K. Ingested metallic foreign body lodged in the appendix. J Indian Assoc Pediatr Surg [serial online] 2011 [cited 2020 Sep 29 ];16:29-30
Available from: http://www.jiaps.com/text.asp?2011/16/1/29/74520


Full Text

 Introduction



Appendicitis due to foreign bodies is very rare. [1],[2],[3],[4] Stones, bullets, air gun pellets, pins, etc. have been described in the appendix. We present an 8-year-old boy who was found to have a metallic screw within the appendix.

 Case Report



An 8-year-old boy presented with a history of ingestion of a metallic screw about 3 months back, and otherwise asymptomatic. The physical examination and the laboratory investigations were within normal limits. Plain radiographs [Figure 1] of the abdomen showed a metallic screw in the right lower quadrant. At laparotomy, the screw was located inside the appendix. An appendicectomy was performed. The appendicular lumen was opened with a scalpel, and the screw was seen to be lodged inside it. The postoperative period was uneventful. {Figure 1}

 Discussion



To the best of our knowledge, this is the third case of metallic screw as a foreign body lodged inside the appendix in a child. [5],[6] Needles, [1],[2] shotgun pellets, [4] bird shots, [7] hazelnut, [8] canine hair, [9] sand, and stones [10] have been reported to be causes of foreign body appendicitis in children. In a series of 217 cases of appendiceal foreign bodies reviewed by Balch and Silver, [3] pins were found to be the most common. The reported incidence of bowel perforation is less than 1%, especially with sharp, thin, pointed or long objects. [11]

References

1Sukhotnik I, Klin B, Siplovich L, Foreign body appendicitis. J Pediatr Surg 1995;30:1515-6.
2Sinha DD, Sharma C, Gupta V, Chaturvedi V. Sewing needle appendicitis in a child. Indian J Gasroenterol 2004;23:219-20.
3Balch CM, Silver D. Foreign bodies in the appendix. Arch Surg 1971;102:14-20.
4Losanoff JE, Jones JW, Richner OW. Acute appendicitis resulting from intraluminal shotgun pellets. ANZ J Surg 2002;72:168.
5Samujh R, Mansoor K, Khan I, Mannan A. Screw appendicitis. Indian Pediatr 2007;44:611-2.
6Kumar R, Bawa M, Raghawan M. Ingested metallic screw causing appendicitis in an infant. Indian J Pediatr 2010;77:337.
7Larsen AR, Blanton RH. Appendicitis due to bird shot ingestion- a case study. Am Surg 2000;66:589-91.
8Kucukaydin M, Icer M, Okur H. Hazelnut appendicitis. Pediatr Surg Intl 1992;7:223-4.
9Miller GG, Fraser GC, Jevon G. Pilonidal appendicitis or 'the hair of the dog': an unusual case of foreign body perforation of the appendix. J Pediatr Surg 1996;31:703.
10Moorjani V, Wong C, Lam A. Ingested foreign body mimicking appendicolith in a child. Br J Radiol 2006;79:173-4.
11Klingler PI, Seelig MH, De Vault KR, Wetscher GJ, Floch NR, Branton SA, et al. Ingested foreign bodies within the appendix: A 100-year review of the literature. Dig Dis 1998;16:308-14.