Home | About Us | Current Issue | Ahead of print | Archives | Search | Instructions | Subscription | Feedback | Editorial Board | e-Alerts | Login 
Journal of Indian Association of Pediatric Surgeons
     Journal of Indian Association of Pediatric Surgeons
Official journal of the Indian Association of Pediatric Surgeons         
 Users Online:70 
  Print this page Email this page   Small font sizeDefault font sizeIncrease font size
 ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2020  |  Volume : 25  |  Issue : 5  |  Page : 286-290

Implantable venous access devices in pediatric malignancies – Institutional experience in a developing nation


Department of Paediatric Surgery, Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research, Sri Ramachandra University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Prakash Agarwal
Department of Paediatric Surgery, Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research, Sri Ramachandra University, Chennai - 600 116, Tamil Nadu
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/jiaps.JIAPS_121_19

Rights and Permissions

Background: Implantable venous access devices (IVAD) are preferred over long term external catheters in children due to less infection rates and better patient compliance in pediatric malignancies. Use of IVAD is a routine practice in developed part of the world. However it needs more emphasis for its widespread use in developing nation in order to improve the quality of care in children with malignancy. Aims and Objectives: We aimed at analyzing the outcome of IVAD in pediatric malignancies in a tertiary care set up of developing nation. Our objective is to enlighten the importance and feasibility of IVAD in childhood malignancies with review of literature. Materials and Methods: There were 152 children who underwent IVAD insertion in the study period. The parameters analyzed were indications, patient demography, size of the port, laterality of insertion, method of access to internal jugular vein (IJV), duration of surgery, time for access, complications, indication for removal and the parental satisfaction. Results: Mean age was 48 months. 112/152 patients had hematological malignancies. Right sided IJV was used by default in 97.4% patients, while remaining 2.6% had their left IJV cannulated. Open venotomy was used in 14 cases and 138 underwent ultrasound guided IJV access. The position of the catheter was reconfirmed in the X-ray, 6-8 hours after surgery. 149/152 ports were accessed 12 hours after surgery, whereas remaining 3 had a delay in access for 24 hours. Post operative complications were divided into early and late. 141 ports were removed after completion of chemotherapy, 4 were removed due to complications. 93 of parents gave the response as “satisfied” Conclusion: With proper training and expertise, insertion and care of IVAD is safe in pediatric malignancies without significant complications.






[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*


        
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed145    
    Printed0    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded18    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal

 


Contact us | Sitemap | Advertise | What's New | Copyright and Disclaimer 

  2005 - Journal of Indian Association of Pediatric Surgeons | Published by Wolters Kluwer - Medknow 

Online since 1st May '05